ANNOUNCEMENT FOR HEAD OF PROGRAMS POSITION
BASE LOCATION: Niamey plus frequent travel to field offices across the country
REPORTING TO: Country Director
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES: Senior Programme Manager, Programme Managers and Technical Staff
PURPOSE OF DIVISION:
Through capacity building and through technical and programme support, the International Programme Division keeps the organisation focused on the socio-economic and humanitarian needs of vulnerable people. The division reinforces IR’s implementing structure to enable these people and their communities to develop themselves sustainably, and ensures that the organisation is prepared to respond promptly and effectively to humanitarian crises. The division increases the organisation’s ability to tackle poverty by developing and fostering partnerships and institutional relationships effectively and proactively, and by ensuring transparent and timely reporting to the organisation’s donors.
The purpose of the Regional Department, besides preparing for and responding to humanitarian crises with relevant departments, is to guide, support and monitor the country programmes to ensure the continuous development of a global programme according to the International Strategy.
1. To provide strategic leadership and expertise to the programme in Niger
2. To ensure the programme meets Islamic Relief Quality Standards
3. To provide timely and high quality proposals and reports to donors
4. To ensure the development and utilization of best practice for technical interventions
5. To network with, and represent Islamic Relief to partners (government authorities, donors, INGOs, local NGOs, CBOs etc).
KEY ROLES/RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
The Head of Programmes is accountable to fulfil his/ her roles and responsibilities in line with IRW’s code of conduct, values and principles, and to report to his/her line-manager regularly on the basis of annually defined key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Provide strategic direction to the programme, to ensure it works towards reducing poverty in a sustainable manner and responds to emergencies effectively
- Take a lead role in the annual strategic planning process
- Design programmes and projects based on the Country Strategic Plan and Emergency Preparedness Plan
- Proactively identify opportunities to build key stakeholder relationships, and take the initiative to follow up with necessary action
- Develop timely and good quality donor proposals to expand the programme, using a participatory approach involving all relevant stakeholders
- Work with the Country Director to diversity the funding base through developing existing or new relationships with donors.
Implementation and Quality of the Programme
- Make key decisions in relation to the programme implementation, and offer solutions to problems that arise during the implementation of programmes
- Ensure the programme meets Islamic Relief Worldwide Quality Standards and international Codes of Conduct
- Ensure the programmes are implemented and evaluated in a consultative and participative manner through regular field visits using IRW accountability frame and related appropriate tools.
- Ensure the timely submission of high quality reports to HQ and donors, according to the appropriate guidelines
- Actively participate in the Country Management Team (COMT)
- Facilitate team building across the Programme, Islamic Relief Niger and the wider organization
- Motivate the programme team and ensure they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance
- Provide HR Management to ensure the short and long-term success of the programme, including recruitment, staff development, security etc.
- Deputize for the Country Director whenever requested to do so (it is estimated this task will involve up to 10% of the Head of Programmes time).
Networking and Communication
- Build relationships with donors and other INGOs in Niger
- Ensure regular and effective communications are maintained within the programme, and with the Regional Desk at HQ .
- Assist the programme team to develop, finalise and closely monitor the programme budget
- Work closely with the Finance Department to ensure effective financial and budgetary control of the programmes, according to IRW’s policy and procedures
- Ensure corrective measures are taken to address over/under spends in the project budgets.
- Experience of working with various International NGOs in developing countries.
- An in depth understanding of national and international development issues in particular in relation to community development.
- Experience of developing proposals for a variety of donors
- Experience of successfully fundraising and dealing with EC, ECHO, UN, SIDA and DFID
- Experience of developing links with INGOs, Government agencies, Institutional donors and other stakeholders
- Experience of and commitment to participatory management and maintaining a supportive, open environment to ensure the learning and development of all staff.
- Experience of managing and mentoring local and international staff.
- Familiarity with the Sustainable Development Goals, Sphere Standards, Do no harm policy, RedCross/Red-crescent Code of Conduct, Humanitarian Accountability Programme etc.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, sensitivity to other peoples’ views and perspectives, and conflict resolution.
- Strategic leadership skills
- Good organisational skills and a practical knowledge of support service management
- The capacity to develop and maintain an understanding of and be sympathetic to the social, cultural and political context of the post
- Ability to represent, liaise and negotiate at different levels (national, provincial and local).
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge/familiarity/expertise in programme areas: e.g. Emergency Response, Community Development, Microfinance, Food Security/Nutrition ,Water and Sanitation, etc
- An ability to work under pressure with limited support.
- Knowledge/familiaritywith country/region
- Excellent written and spoken English and French- obligatory
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Committed to Islamic Relief Worldwide values and code of conduct.
- Willing to travel to remote locations and in difficult terrains
- Post graduate degree or its equivalent in management, social science, international development, public administration, or a related field
- Relevant experience in projectdevelopment
Experience: Experience of working specifically towards, and reporting against Millennium Development Goals Skills
Knowledge of languages i.e. English, French, Local languages, etc.